[Nottingham] Various kernel oops

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed May 28 10:16:27 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 09:31 +0100, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> As an aside, are you using a processor with hyperthreading? If you are,
> turn it off and see if that makes a difference. Also don't overclock.

...and, if you have it available, try the -hugemem kernel. It's designed
(well, in 32-bit land it is!) for systems with over 16GB memory but at
work we've found it useful for systems with 8GB or more (using RHEL4 and
5). The headline is that for a small CPU overhead, apps have access to a
greater per-process memory space; underlying this seems to be much
improved FS cache handling.

Graeme