[Nottingham] Various kernel oops

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Thu May 29 14:59:43 BST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 02:29:11PM +0100, Martin wrote:

> I've minimized activity on that box now. However, what I have noticed is
> that:
>
> Mem:   8190988k total,  7589768k used,   601220k free,   573092k buffers
>
> The used inexorably climbs ever higher and rarely drops back.

Yes, that's by design I think. You should check the "cached" figure
as well - this gives the amount of memory in use that contains
cached disk data. If there is no pressure on memory from
applications, this will just keep on going up and is counted in the
"used" figure although it is available for use if need be. The
machine I'm on at the moment isn't doing a great deal right now and
has 1.7GB of cached data (out of 4GB ram available).

Cheers,

Roger