[Nottingham] Various kernel oops

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 29 15:21:28 BST 2008

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:29 +0100, Martin wrote:
>> It's a dual core AMD: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000
>
> Er... OK. No HT, then? I'm not a particularly hardware-focussed person

Only the AMD Hyper *Transport*, which is why it's in there for data serving.

So no, no Intel HyperThreading and shared state silliness on a single
CPU core.

> segfault and die, before discovering that is was *supplied* overclocked.
> Live and learn!

Ouch!

No OC and I've had it at 100% CPU utilisation running Boinc projects.
Also checked out with memtest86+ and a HDD diagnostics.

I may well try it with Bonnie to check out the HDDs/IO and fs.

[---]
>> Checking the processes from top and X has the largest memory footprint
>> at 800M or so. Everything else is just a few MBytes each. Only 176 tasks
>> in total. It certainly doesn't add up to 7.5 GigaBytes!
>>
>> A memory leak somewhere?
>
> Maybe...
>
>> And so how to investigate further?
>
> "free"

That adds up much better and makes sense.

[---]
> Is X running a WM with loads of eye candy?

Not in use at the moment. I'm ssh'd in via a terminal.

It will have the greeter login screen displayed. There's KDE on there if
used. No office or graphics or media stuff. No sound either. Just samba
and imap and the default sundry stuff for the time being.

Erk, so where to search next...

martin at ml1.co.uk