[Nottingham] External Drive FS? [was kernel 2.6.27: INFO: task xxxx blocked for more than 120 seconds.]

Christopher Joice linuxisthefuture at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 19:14:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 15:00 +0000, Jim Moore wrote:

> Right root cause as far as I can make out; it's down to the fact,
> Martin, that you're using a journaling file system on external drives -
> never a good idea

Ok, so what *should* I use?
I've got a 500Gb external drive with music, films, etc. on it (saves
space at Uni rather than having all the disks bouncing about).
I've got ext3 on there at the moment, working on the assumption it would
make recover after power cut / random unplug easier. I was even about to
turn on Full journalisation, so it does the data itself as well as the
meta data...

Seriously, would I be better using ext2, even (shock) fat??

Thanks,
Christopher Joice
-
http://chrisjoice.co.uk
-
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-- George Carlin