[Nottingham] Digital cameras & Christmas!

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 00:12:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> Anyone know how well the Fuji "Finepix" sensors perform? Do they have a
> significantly greater dynamic range compared to the conventional CMOS
> and CCD sensors? Pros and cons?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

They have what they called SuperCCD which basically means that the CCD is
octagonal rather than rectangular. It means that, for example, a 3MP sensor
performs more like a 5 or 6MP.

I have a Finepix S5000 bridge camera which is 3.1 megapixel,  but uses
SuperCCD technology to get 6 megapixel with no noticable quality loss (to me
anyway).

I'm no expert on cameras so I'm sure that somebody will point out the cons
of SuperCCD. I'm happy enough with it anyway.

Simon