[Nottingham] ... plague -- Oh my! Kill SPAM!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 10:36:36 UTC 2008

ForkBombFluf wrote:
[...]
>> And there's only so much beer that I can drink before picking up the
>> wrong end of whatever...!
>
> TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Just explaining the danger of drink - and - driving-hot-implement...

> Well, now that we've cleared the air of that one...

I'll admit that the stink belongs more to Shaun of the Dead!

http://www.shaunofthedeadmovie.com
http://www.paramountpictures.co.uk/romzom/

> Anyone got any particular opinion or thoughts on using challenge-response
> as a viable method of combatting spam?
>
> Anyone?

Long thrashed out and always discredited for the extra 'spam' that it
generates due to the spammers forging the mail headers and everything.
Then again, for some excessively targeted individuals/organisations,
that is a very tempting option to push the problem onto the senders (and
additionally others via the forgery collateral damage). Yet the more
favoured option of spam blocking is rather "hit-and-miss" :-(

Kill the spammers to kill the problem at source?

I guess the best option at present is to use "gray listing". Still
expensive in your time to set up and keep running.

Anyhow, we should be ok for a short while being as 75% of the world spam
got cut off by just pulling one plug in America!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/isp-spam-email,news-29624.html

martin at ml1.co.uk