[Nottingham] Fedora 9 boot problem

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 13:57:35 UTC 2008

Hi

I use Fedora a bit, did you know 10 will be out very soon? The version
of 9 you are installing is already old-ish. It might be worth updating
the freshly installed 9 to see if there are any updates for the kernel
or Xorg (there will obviously be some). So long as you have a working
internet connection, you could just type 'yum -y update' (without the
quotes) at a console.

For a laptop where the graphics haven't come up yet, the best way to
be sure of an internet connection would be to use an ethernet cable.

Be warned though, pretty much everything will have an update at this
point and downloading all those updates will probably take as long as
waiting for F10 early next week and downloading that...

You haven't said what sort of hardware the laptop is, but if you post
details I could search for known problems. You may be able to use a
program 'smoltSendProfile' to upload the hardware details giving a URL
like this:

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_44edc881-6d87-4d54-b878-9dda238ef4d0

(that's my laptop)

-Cam