[Nottingham] Fedora 9 boot problem

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:57:30 UTC 2008

Hi, sorry I'm a little late to the party

2008/11/16 gadget.pat <gadget.pat at ntlworld.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> It must be that time of year because I need some help again.  I installed
> Fedora9 on my laptop recently.  I managed to solve the issue of a blank
> screen when it was supposed to show the login screen by changing an option
> in xorg.conf to vesa. It was booting to a command prompt but if I run the
> command startx, the desktop comes up.  Changing the option in inittab from 3
> to 5 should load the desktop automatically  BUT... when I do that, I get a
> blank screen and I can only cure it with a live cd changing the setting
> back, which brings me back to a command prompt.
>
> I have been going round in circles for days so what am I missing or doing
> wrong? Any pointers on how to get Fedora to boot straight to the login
> screen or straight to the desktop?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't really have some concrete suggestions but thought I might chip
in anyway.

It's worth pointing out that Fedora 9 uses X during install (for
running the Anaconda graphical installer) and during boot up (for the
graphical splash screen, are you seeing this by the way?).

I'd agree with the consensus that you should try Fedora 10. I've been
running it here on my Thinkpad T61 with Intel 965 graphics without
problems since late in the alpha period.

If your machine is causing you grief I'd say it's worth trying Fedora
10 and if needed spend time debugging in there. :-)

Any ideas what graphics chipset you're using?

Regards,

- J
--
Joshua Lock