[Nottingham] WiFi mesh

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 26 19:38:27 UTC 2008

Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Jim Moore
> <jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Anyone played with a WiFi mesh?
>>>
>>> How well do they work?
>>>
>>> And how many nodes can be handled?
>>>
>>> (Mad-cap idea #365426486463982989! :-) )
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Martin
>>>

>> Short answer: as many nodes as you want [...]
>>

> I cannot agree. I think you have rewritten this from
> a Motorola (Mesh designer company) "success story"
> leaflet... I've expressed my concerns previously,
> so I do not have to repeat them.
>
> And think - if Mesh is such a perfect solution, why
> almost noone is using it in Europe? :-)
>
> cheers -
> Serge

Nope, no leaflets here. Just from my own limited experience using
Freenet, and building a small experimental mesh network (14 wirelss
nodes hooking into Freenet from the same 54g router) in the South
Meadows area; as to your last - probably  because the 2.4GHz spectrum is
already cluttered with Bluetooth, video senders, cellphones and
microwave ovens? Not too many of those in Darkest Congo...

TLP

--
Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.