[Nottingham] [Fix-It] Navigation, *Today*, Thu Oct 16

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Sat Oct 18 09:20:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Simon Osborne wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Stef for arranging for the night.

Eeek!  All I did was send out a couple of e-mails and turn up.  Thanks to
everyone who showed up.

>> Did I miss owt? :-) :-(

The main event of the evening seemed to revolve around trying to hammer
Ubuntu onto a laptop with an ATI graphics card, a feat that PC World had
failed at, along with rendering the wireless card inoperative when booted
into Windows (easily fixed by Simon with a driver alteration). X would not
initialize on the lappy for love nor money, and an alternative CD was not
on hand to do a proper text-mode install.  A lot of to-and-fro-ing of a
USB memory stick combined with scratching of heads ensued.  Some
interesting comments were made regarding the usefulness of a text-only
installation (ie. the thrills of watching movies with aaxine).
Unfortunately I had to leave for the train at 9, so did not hear the
outcome of the battle, perhaps someone who was there later than I can fill
in...

> Thanks, Stef, for organising this! It was good to see people again and
> meet those I haven't seen before.

Nice meeting you too, Simon.  Hope you'll be able to return for more Linux
fun and games than one can shake a rigid platypus at.

> So next event in two weeks time?

In theory, the foodie social should fall on Wed Nov 5th, but as I'm sure
many of you will be busy burning effigies of Bill Gates that evening,
perhaps we should arrive at a more suitable date for anyone interested in
coming? (suggestions gleefully accepted.)

Someone had suggested City International Buffet, but I'm not to keen on
this one having seen a fairly dire review of it.

Keeping student-friendly prices in mind, I'd suggest a pub this time.
The Bell, which we met at before the last foodie seemed nice, but will
have to check on how late they serve. Otherwise something like the Slug
and Lettuce perhaps?

Cheerz,

-Stef