[Nottingham] Introduction and Java Question

Jason Liquorish jason at dropshock.com
Sun Oct 19 10:10:30 UTC 2008

Hello everyone, I think it is time I finally introduce myself and start
getting involved with the LUG, so I decided to post this.

My name is Jason Liquorish and I am 18 years old studying at NCN (Adams
Building/Lace Market) for a BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners
(Software Development). Fancy title but it is basically just to get me
prepared to go and do Computer Science at university. Before doing this
course I did a rather un-worthwhile City and Guilds course that I would
rather forget.

I am no Linux expert but I like to think of myself as an intermediate
user. As far as I can recall I have been using Linux full time since
Ubuntu Breezy in 2005 when I was 15. I have not tried many other
distributions in-between the upgrades through to Ubuntu Hardy which I
currently run although I am starting to explore if not just to see what
else is out there.

I have actually been subscribed to this list for quite a while and I
think my only other post was when we had the earthquake. I regret not
getting more involved and I will be working to correct that.

I also have a quick question for the list to do with a college
assignment for my programming module. I have been asked to write a
program to read in a file of numbers separated by commas, then to work
out the mean, median and mode and print the results. I got the mean and
median sorted in a night but the mode has been a real headache for me,
I just cannot figure it out in my head how to do it. I am not looking
for someone to just post some code for me to use, I will not learn that
way, I would like some tips/pointers/advice as to what I should think
about and what methods I should use to work this out. I should also add
with the mode, if two or more numbers occur the same amount of times
then I have to print out all numbers that occur the most.

Thanks for any help and I hope to see some of you soon at a non-food
based meet =)

--
Jason Liquorish <jason at dropshock.com>