[Nottingham] Boot stuck

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Mon Oct 20 19:28:22 UTC 2008

2008/10/20 Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk>:
> If it used to work once, but no longer works, what happened? Knowing
> or guessing at how it's been broken could be a key to a quick fix.

Camilio and Peter,

Thank you for your helpful comments.

I had messed up my WinXP installation by accidentally deleting some
important files. The next time WinXP tried to boot it gave an error
message saying that a file was missing and that it might be repaired
in rescue mode. I think this must have done something to the MBR on
hd0,0. What puzzled me was why the error message referred to Linux.

I remain on-line thanks to my Acer Aspire One running Linpus which is
a lovely little thing, although its battery life leaves a lot to be
desired.

I am going to have to reinstall WinXP (oh joy!) which will leave me
with an intact but inaccessible Fedora installation on hd1,1. What is
the correct incantation to overwrite WinXP's bootloader on hd0,0 and
get it to look at my GRUB installation on hd1,1?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

--
Michael Leuty