[Nottingham] HylaFax

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 12:21:52 UTC 2008

Matt Jones wrote:
> Yep the modem is connected as /dev/ttyS0 and is all hooked up to the
> serial port. When using minicom I can initialize the modem and dial an
> outside line.
>
> What do you mean by reverse the polarity of my phone line connection?

In domestic pstn phone lines, you get two or three wires that are
'live'. Most modem leads only connect to two wires. There's 40 - 50v dc
(and high source resistance) on there with your phone 'on-hook' (not in
use). Some electronic phones/modems require one of -40V or +40V across
their wires even though they should be polarity independent and either
way /should/ work fine. You may need to swap the two wires over in your
slave phone socket/extension (you must not touch the 'master' socket),
or make up a two-wire adapter lead.

> I have searched the web and followed many tutorials. But the end it
> always the same. I can fax to the queue but the modem status just keeps
> saying the same; waiting for modem to come ready.

That suggests that either hylafax hasn't got read-write permissions to
the /dev/ttyS0 or something, or something else is keeping control of
/dev/ttyS0.

Check permissions and check:

lsof /dev/ttyS0

Or you might just have the wrong initialisation string being sent to the
modem.

Let us know what you find.

What distro are you using?

Good luck,