[Nottingham] HylaFax

Matt Jones msjones at fidler.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 08:48:35 UTC 2008

There are 3 analogue ports on the AVAYA switch that the current fax machines
are hooked up too. Would this work, or would a dedicated line be more
suited.

Also can I do both incoming & outgoing from one modem?

I am going to try the analogue ports shortly, will report back.

I have something in my inittab file. Can somebody explain what it actually
means?

*# modem getty.
# mo:235:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty -s 38400 modem

# fax getty (hylafax)
# mo:35:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty /dev/modem

# vbox (voice box) getty
# I6:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/vboxgetty -d /dev/ttyI6
# I7:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/vboxgetty -d /dev/ttyI7

# S1:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty /dev/ttyS0

# mo:2345:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty /dev/ttySx

# end of /etc/inittab

*Which one should I uncomment? I am not to sure with this, or what it does.

Thanks for all the help, its very much appreciated.

Matt