[Nottingham] Web browsing through SSH tunnel

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 29 04:28:57 UTC 2008

Danny King wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I'm running a web proxy that uses a SSH tunnel from localhost to a
> computer somewhere else on the Internet, can my network overlords spy
> on me? Can anyone else spy on me? Could a local user on localhost spy
> on me?
>
> (I have firefox set to get dns queries to use the proxy too).
>
> I followed instructions from
> https://calomel.org/firefox_ssh_proxy.html if anyone is interested.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not being evil, just value my privacy. I'm reading 1984.
>
> Also, has anyone heard of the Bradford Dissolvable Agent? It's a bash
> script I had to run to gain access to my university network but I'm
> not sure what it does (and I don't like the way it deletes itself
> after running)
>
> Thanks!

All an encrypted tunnel tells an eavesdropper is that there is traffic,
not the content thereof. If the eavesdropper is anything to do with
local law enforcement or national security, this activity could be all
the excuse they need to impound your equipment and even yourself for
further investigation. Indefinitely.

A Bradford Dissolvable Agent, or BDA, is a policy compliance test client
that a lot of academic networks require users to run on their own
equipment before allowing access to the network. It is designed to run
then delete itself, leaving behind a cookie (or even a unique hash) that
tells the network on connection and DHCP query, that the client system
has already run and met the conditions of the BDA compliance test. If
that cookie is not present, then the client system is denied access and
the user directed to run the BDA again. This is common on LAN situations
(moreso on clusters since it'd do no good for an outside machine to
access the network and make the whole damn lot fall over - I've had it
happen and it ain't pretty, so now I use a BDA on all the nodes), and
would be a good policy for a small ISP to use since it locks a client
account to a single machine.

Cheers,

TLP