[Nottingham] Navigation meeting, 2nd April (email!)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 22:31:59 UTC 2009

> Well, I'll be talking email. Boring or what?! ;-)

And so we did!

Good turnout and varied discussions. Michael was there with his amazing
collection of mutant Rubiks and kindly brought along the adopted 'NLUG'
projector. For the talk presentation, my recently modified netbook
worked fine despite its complete disassembly and reassembly!

Unfortunately, the Nav WiFi internet is WiFi-less at the moment, so the
planned live demo of talking to a postfix server via telnet was
'non-live' during the talk.

However, I think the evening must go to the two enterprising geeks that
then set about setting up a postfix server on one netbook with a
wireless connection to a second netbook running telnet. We then had the
live telnet-smtp demo later over a beer or two. Yes, humans can "speak
smtp"...

Simon showed off an install of Mac OSX on a Lenovo netbook. Looked
rather good.

During discussions of the philosophy behind GUIs and human-computer
interaction, there was the question of whether "making things simple"
necessarily means being 'patronising'... Is making something 'simple'
also making that something 'dumbed down'?

Next meet is a foodie-social. Stefne?

Next tech evening is something about supercomputers!

Watch the list for details...

See ya there,

martin at ml1.co.uk