[Nottingham] Microsoft gains 96% Netbook market share from near zero in just 6 months!

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 22:47:56 UTC 2009

I've noticed that the range available with Linux seems limited - I
assumed it was some dodgy dealing.

I can believe people take Ubuntu machines back when they don't get on
with them, but people often do this with Windows PCs too. I've heard
of people taking back new laptops because they became infected with
malware and they couldn't face reinstalling Windows (especially
netbooks where the lack of a DVD drive makes re-installation non
trivial).

It's a shame they can't recognise the Windows machines that get
reinstalled with Linux one way or another. Maybe Shuttleworth should
run a scheme where you can send in your Windows license for a partial
refund or some upgraded Ubuntu support - I'd consider it even if the
partial refund was donated to a worthy charity (eg. the FSF)

-Cam