[Nottingham] "Big Name" Distros Update

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Mon Apr 20 13:02:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 13:50 +0100, Michael Erskine wrote:
> Only joking of course: I'm looking forward to testing the Ubuntu
> release. I tend to lag the releases by a month or so before rolling
> out to allow some of the upgrade issues to get ironed out in the first
> few weeks.

Here's a question for everyone: how long is acceptable between major
release versions, on a scale of:

Fedora    (shortest)
Ubuntu
Mandriva
Debian    (longest)

???

I know where my professional head sits, but my consumer (geek) head sits
at the other end of the scale. I like my server farms to be stable (and
largely left alone unless absolutely necessary), but move my desktops
along nice and quick. That said, rapid dev cycles such as that managed
by Fedora would cause dektop management carnage in an institution like
the one I do my dayjob in...

Graeme