[Nottingham] Gentoo fun on an old VIA Epia C3

Peter Woods peterwoods at f2s.com
Tue Apr 21 19:45:12 UTC 2009

Martin wrote:

> Sooo.... Why use ext2 and noatime for my example? The three drives used,
> hda, sda and sdb are all flash SSDs and the hope is that ext2 and
> noatime will help to minimise the write counts on those devices to
> reduce "wear". Flash devices have a very limited number of writes
> compared to HDDs.

Sorry, I traded my two sticks of 512 / PC133 for a DDR stick at the
compooter shop.
(My m/b died and the guy knows the value of old stuff.)

My "solid state" machine goes better since I moved /tmp into RAM:
here's a link:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/04/four-tweaks-for-using-linux-with-solid-state-drives/
(Need the Firefox fix too.)

HTH