[Nottingham] /usr/lib/at-spi-registryd what?! Network haemorrhage...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 13:31:52 UTC 2009

Folks,

Just blundered across a strange one...

Sometime overnight after many months of uptime, at-spi-registryd
apparently spontaneously started spraying my local network with about 3k
bit/s of continuous data.

It looks like it was started up with my login many moons ago. It's now
dead and the network haemorrhage died with it. All is fine oncemore.

Which comes to...

Short of starting up wireshark, how do you find out what process is
spewing data across an interface?

My usual trick of "netstat -atpu" didn't show it. I found it by cpu time
used via "top" even though it always appeared to be in sleep mode.

martin at ml1.co.uk