[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* Thurs 03/12/2009 Moblin, Netbooks, Files & RAID

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 19:07:05 UTC 2009

>> Moblin, Netbooks, Files & RAID

'twas a good and select evening and the Nav seems to be recovering also :-)

Thanks to Pete for the Christmas crisps and pies. Good to see Jim from
The Caves, and also a good welcome to James.

Various bits 'n' pieces were discussed and there was a brief Acer Aspire
One head-head to contest the the very poor speed of the 8GByte SSDs in
them. Judicious use of tmpfs on an upgraded memory of 1.5GByte, and
possibly help also from the partition alignment to the 1MByte erase
blocks, did seem to show a speedup over a default install.

We played a little with Moblin and then KDE4...

So what has improved for the Human - Computer Interface over the last
two decades? Our conclusion was that apart for the eye-candy
improvements afforded by the phenomenally faster hardware of recent
years, there has been *NO IMPROVEMENT* ... Nothing. Zilch. We may as
well still be languishing with a Windows95 desktop!

And when might HURD arise? And might that be helped by the recent
announcements of CPU chips boasting many tens of CPU cores for massively
parallel (and "cloud") computing in 2010 and thereafter?

Next meet up proposed (and the last for this year) is for Tuesday
15/12/09 for a Big Wok session.

Any takers?

Cheers All,

And Merry Christmas!