[Nottingham] Acer Aspire One linux tweaks (including bluetooth)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 16:28:00 UTC 2009

Folks,

After a session of Googling...

Some comments on Linpus Linux on the Acer Aspire One
http://www.kevinboone.com/aspire.html

gives a good overview of the Linpus distro on the Aspire One;

Then there's

30 Cool Acer Aspire One Hacks
http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/09/27/30-cool-acer-aspire-one-hacks/

and

Ten tweaks for a new Acer Aspire One
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/

macles* for friends of the acer aspire one
http://macles.blogspot.com/

OK, so a few tweaks that I've done:

Install Firefox3
http://jorge.fbarr.net/2008/08/06/acer-aspire-one-tips-and-tricks/#InstallingFirefox3

That works nicely, but then afterwards reading further down:

"... installing Firefox 3. If you go to Acers Aspire One site at
http://www.acer.com/aspireone/, click on one of the colour bubbles (but
mute your speakers, ‘cos the music is really annoying!), then select
‘Drivers and Support’ from the scrolling menu in the bottom left hand
corner, you’ll end up at a page with Connect, Work, Fun and Files
options. Here you will find Gimp, Firefox 3, Filezilla, Adobe Reader and
a load of other stuff.

I’ve downloaded and installed FF3 and it just worked, nothing to do but
extract and run the .sh file :-)

Enjoy!"

Also on there is:

    * Adding your own Desktop-icons
    * Changing the keyboard layout to Norwegian
    * Changing to the default desktop
    * Disabling autologin (and enabling GDM)
    * Enable Circular Scrolling
    * Enabling the right click menu
    * Improving read and write performance
    * Installing Firefox 3
    * Installing other packages with yum
    * Managing the (noisy) fan speed
    * Removing the Search Bar
    * Setting the right resolution on an external monitor
    * Troubleshooting
    * USB Recovery Image
    * Wallpaper for the Acer Aspire One

The external monitor settings includes using dual displays. Rather nice.

Another solution to the (firefox and other) dependencies problem is
given on:

Dependency problems on Acer Aspire One Linux
http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/dependency-problems-on-acer-aspire-one.html

Yet another variation is to download a general firefox3 tarball and
install that alongside the existing firefox2 to maintain the oddball
dependencies:

Installing Firefox 3 on Acer Aspire One Linux
http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/installing-firefox-3-on-acer-aspire-one.html

And followed by:

Replace Aspire One Mail with Thunderbird
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=782#p5332

Enabling for Bluetooth is described on:

USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux)
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=789&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

But look at the end of the comments FIRST! Note that BlueZ (and a lot of
other stuff) is amongst the Acer updates on:

(8" & 9" Acers)
http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone_8_9/support/files/connect.html

The mobile connection details/notes also on:
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=789

plus a few quirks got me online via bluetooth to my mobile's GPRS.

So why isn't it far far simpler?! OK, I'll be trying out the
connectivity for Mandriva and Gentoo sometime...

All good fun!

martin at ml1.co.uk