[Nottingham] Locating NTFS errors

gadget.pat gadget.pat at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 13 14:07:18 UTC 2009

Danny King wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I dual boot with vista and one of my ntfs partitions (vista's C drive)
> has got a disk error. Running vista's chkdsk isn't repairing it so I
> wonder if there is a way I can locate which files are corrupt using my
> Ubuntu install and delete them?

Hi Danny,

Not sure if Vista still has the option to do a "FIXBOOT". If it does
then try proceedure below...

Proccedure steps

1) run chkdsk /r (do NOT restart pc afterwards)
2) run fixboot (twice) should confirm a working boot sector
3) type exit then press and hold power button to turn off
4) turn on, tapping F8 to get to options, choose safemode
5) if it gets into safemode, back up data fix anything else and then try
a normal boot.

Proceedure is for XP but may work on Vista.

Hope that helps.
pat

NB:
As always, user discretion is advised as the author will take no blame
for loss of data, house, wife or kudos in the pursuance of a windows fix
in these times of credit crunches and cold weather. This in no way
affects your statutory rights as you have none with me.