[Nottingham] Partition resizing

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 16 08:11:33 UTC 2009

Danny King wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have run out of space on my root partition and have decided to
> attempt to resize it. I have a ~8 gig / partition and a ~50gig ntfs
> partition (and another ntfs partition with Windows on). I wonder,
> would the following work?
>
> 1. Back up all the data on / into a .tar.gz (should I do this in a
> different way?) and place it onto an external hard drive
> 2. Do the same for the NTFS partition (there's only a gig of stuff on
there)
> 3. Boot a liveCD and delete both partitions, then add a 15 gig /
> partition and a 43 gig ntfs one.
> 4. Copy the original data from the external hard drive onto the two
> new partitions
> 5. Profit?
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Thanks!

Personally, I would forget NTFS for a data partition, instead going
with ext3. Don't fret, there're win32 utilities that allow RW access
to ext3 partitions, such as the one at
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which is the one I used to
use. Didn't stop using it because I didn't like it, it's an excellent
piece of kit, I stopped using it because I stopped using NT. Caveat:
it is a readonly utility. For full RW, there's ext2 IFS which does
also support ext3. Caveat: the IFS driver is not supported in Vista.
This utility is not OSS, but is distributed under a Freeware license.

--
TLP

 - Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door
went nuts.

 - No, I will not fix your computer.

 - Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

 - Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

 - Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

 - I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and
not have their motives questioned!

 - If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

 - Don't listen to the do-gooders, condoms are useless. They split, they
leak and they burst. And the human stomach can't handle the impact of
two kilos of cocaine.

 - Users who XNA their posts are admitting that their ramblings aren't
worth reading.

 - (on Windows) You know why "last known good configuration" almost
never works? Because the last known good configuration was a blank disk.
- Sinister Midget, comp.os.linux.advocacy, 15 Jan 2009

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)