[Nottingham] Partition resizing

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sun Jan 18 23:41:34 UTC 2009

I've found that the partition resizer that's provided on the Vista
install DVD works very well; better in fact than gparted or Partition
Magic in the one particular instance that I tried them. However in
my experience it will determine the "shrink size" for you.

.. from my wiki:

The Vista DVD installer has a very handy Windows partition shrinking
utility built in. To use it:

Boot up using the Vista DVD. When it asks you for a product key, press
SHIFT+F10 simultaneously. You'll get a command prompt.

Type DISKPART

Type LIST VOLUME

Select the volume to shrink by typing SELECT VOLUME N, where N is the
partition number to shrink identified by "LIST VOLUME".

Type SHRINK - it will automatically shrink your XP partition.