[Nottingham] VNC black screen (XDM declaring seesion dead)

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:01:25 UTC 2009

Michael Quaintance wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I know I'm not in Nottingham anymore

Don't worry, you're not missing anything.
>  but I'm hoping someone here can
> still hit me with a clue stick.
>
> I'm trying to set up VNC servers so we can persist our xterms when we
> take our laptops home and connect to the work VPN to continue where we
> left off.
>
> I've got a server with RHEL (4 or 5, not sure which) and I've set up
> some VNC sessions the RedHat way using
>
> /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
>
> and then
>
> service vncserver start
>
> This works, but if anyone wants to change their resolution, color depth,
> add a new screen or remove a screen, all the screens have to be killed
> and restarted. This is no use.
>
> So I'm trying it the command-line way. I start a server using
>
> vncserver -query <machinename> <other options like geometry>

So the server geometry is fixed? The client will usually connect and
display the window according to the parameters passed here, hence fixed
on the server process. At least that's how I understand what's happening
here. Is there such a thing as a dynamic geometry parameter that can be
passed here that would in theory, negate the need for a client restart?
> This gives me a new screen and I can connect to it and use it fine for
> the first two minutes.
>
> After 2 minutes (DNS resolver timeout maybe??) the VNC log file gets an
> entry
>
> XDM: too many retransmissions, declaring session dead
>
> The vnc session then goes black, I still have a cursor that responds but
> no windowmanager.

sounds like an xserver death to me...
> I'm not even using xdm. The box is configured for gdm but I'm not using
> that either. The vnc xstartup is calling twm by default (which is fine
> for our purpose.
>
> Any ideas why xdm is declaring the session dead? Why does xdm care? How
> can I stop it caring?
>
> The sessions started the RedHat way are still running fine. If I change
> the vnc xstartup to use gnome, the same 2 minute limit is seen.
>
> -Penfold

Yes, weird one that. I've never seen a timeout like that - I've had
intersite and crossplatform VNC sessions stay up all weekend. Dunno what
to suggest there except maybe spoofing XDM (don't ask me how, local
keepalive ping/pong event maybe? That's a kluge but it might work...)
and fool it into thinking it's receiving the expected data so it doesn't
time out. I did notice, however, that changing the screen resolution on
the server did require a client restart (for the same reasons you gave -
blank screen which I assumed was something to do with the fixed
resolution of the client window according to the parameters given
serverside to start the server process in the first place, and the
change occuring at the server end), which didn't bother me any because I
had my setup going so that it automagically reconnected if it dropped
for any reason - at the new screen resolution.

--
TLP

 - The following signature is encoded double-ROT-47. Unauthorised duplication and/or decryption is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

 - Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.

 - No, I will not fix your computer.

 - Thought: It must be a bitch to write your name in the snow in Arabic...

 - Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

 - Rice: 1.4 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

 - I'm dreaming of a better world where chickens can cross the road and not have their motives questioned!

 - If you can make a cheesecake you can install a Linux driver from source.

 - Don't listen to the do-gooders, condoms are useless. They split, they leak and they burst. And the human stomach can't handle the impact of two kilos of cocaine.

 - Users who XNA their Usenet posts are admitting that their ramblings aren't worth reading.

 - (on Windows) You know why "last known good configuration" almost never works? Because the last known good configuration was a blank disk. - Sinister Midget, c.o.l.a. 15 Jan 2009

 - Here's to our wives and sweethearts; may they never meet.

 - (on writing) I suggest words formed into sentences, occasionally divided by punctuation, then further constructed into paragraphs containing references to the subject matter, with a detailed analysis of that subject matter organised into chapters, and finally ending with a conclusion. Be sure to use your own words, and not those found elsewhere such as in a dictionary, otherwise you may be found guilty of copyright violation - an offence punishable by death in certain states of the USA. - Homer, c.o.l.a. 19 Jan 2009

 - Forget nicotine patches, they don't smoke for shit and you only fit 3 in a rizla. I'm back to my 5 lighters a day.

*#* Signoff: labo-rat (find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;)