[Nottingham] VNC black screen (XDM declaring seesion dead)

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 16:04:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:05:09PM +0000, Steve Caddy wrote:
> Michael Quaintance wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up VNC servers so we can persist our xterms when we
> > take our laptops home and connect to the work VPN to continue where we
> > left off.
>
> I know this isn't the solution you asked for, but if it's just xterms that you
> wish to persist, why not use screen, which is technically less challenging,
> easier on the bandwidth, and doesn't result in an unlocked console at the
> other end.

I personally use screen a lot, this email was typed in a screen session,
for example but the others that are using this will want to keep other X
apps running, like emacs and various test interfaces. (I know you can
run emacs from the console as well).

It turns out Cam was right. The -query option is not necessary.

In fact -query tries to get the greeter to pop up. That's why XDM was
interfering. It should have been using the gdm greeter but hey-ho. As
these sessions belong to the user who started them, we don't need a
greeter at all.

I've not found any documentation about this but other servers where the
greeter is configured correctly (a solaris CDE), with the -query option,
gives you a greeter and without launches you straight to the windowmanager.

Thanks guys.

-Penfold