[Nottingham] Reclaimng MS Tax on a new computer

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:09:53 UTC 2009

This gets sticky. What Asus will tell you is that the OEM version of
Windows XP Home is worth about £6 to them; this is how much you can
expect back off them should they choose not to instead insist that you
return the unit to the retailer for an exchange for a Linux box or a
refund (they are under no obligation to accept the COA in lieu of
credit). If you instead go Microsoft, what they'll tell you is that to
qualify for a refund (of the same amount if not less) you have to send
them not only the COA, also the original purchase receipt for the unit.
This has the unfortunate side effect of leaving you for up to nine weeks
with NO comeback should you need to return the unit for warranty repair
(as most places require the receipt before they'll honour a warranty).

A retail version of Windows XP Home is worth about £45 from a
distributor. Microsoft will instruct you to return this in sealed
condition to the retailer, who is under no obligation to accept the
software for refund.

The upshot of all this is, Microsoft have already taken their cut of the
sale before you even clapped eyes on the unit, and it would cost
/everybody/ more than the license is /actually/ worth to process a
refund. The test cases were only good for the lawyers who represented
the class actions.