[Nottingham] Microsoft EULA simplified?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 10:53:47 UTC 2009

Jim Moore wrote:
> section 4 is interesting... does that mean they've relaxed the
> registration protocols/WGA?

What?!!!

You actually read those things?!

(Then again, good that someone keeps informed of their stance.)

Not read any of that myself but could it be that Microsoft is a little
'sensitive' to not repeat some of the very negative criticisms suffered
with the introduction of Windows Vista? Also, there was the silliness
when "WGA" denied Australian users (and others?) the use of their own
computers for 'a good while' when some of the Microsoft WGA servers went
on the blink...

I always did think that requiring new users to enter a long
"registration code" (ofwhich you can pick up any number off the internet
in any case) was a little silly for 'security'. More of a marketing
illusion and trick?

But then, that comes onto a question from our last meet: Is requiring a
username/password on linux (*nix) systems any better or less intrusive
than the "Windows Way"?

(OK, there is 'autologin' to boot you straight into a user account on a
linux system, but there's still usernames and passwords in there that
are required for certain tasks.)

Computers should just simply work.

martin at ml1.co.uk