[Nottingham] photo slide scanner

Peter Woods peterwoods at f2s.com
Mon Jul 13 17:32:57 UTC 2009

godfrey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have recently unearthed a couple of boxes full of slides taken over many
> years. I have seen advertised slide copying devices to plug in USB port of a PC. Has
> anyone any experience of using one with Linux?
The things you mention usually say "Not Mac" so you are probably out of
luck.
I would not recommend anyone to invest in a one shot device if you have
a lot of images to copy.
Very tedious.

If you google slide scanner project, some guy has converted a slide
projector.
Handy for doing a large quantity, I would guess.
http://onlyhacks.com/arduino_avr/a-diy-slide-scanner-project-with-an-avr-brain/
The way he has done it, I doubt you would need to automate.

This guy has a few tips:              http://www.35mmslidescannerhelp.com/

I have an 'Epson "Perfection" (sic) 4490 photo' scanner which is a bit
of a pain to install on my Mandriva.
Sane backend has to be installed by hand.
It is very cumbersome to use and I wouldn't want to do more than a few
scans.
(I chose this 1 because my old mum's negatives are on 620 film -
remember 6x7 format?)

HTH
Pete Woods