[Nottingham] Nottingham Digest, Vol 300, Issue 8

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Tue Jul 14 22:29:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 21:06 +0000, tony atkins wrote:
> wakey wakey!

I don't normally rise to Tony's posts, but... I've been asleep for the
best part of two days, and I just finally woke up at a really crap time
to do so.

1. Can you read? How about changing the subject to something
approximating relevant, as per the guidance given at the top of every
single digest message?

2. Not everyone has 64 bit capable processors. Those who have true
64-bit CPUs are, in all likelihood, using 64-bit operating systems.
Those who have faux-64-bit systems (like the large majority, even in
server land) are stuck with 32-bit for decent performance. Those with
less than a reasonable number of terabytes of RAM will see almost no
difference in their system's performance with a 32-bit kernel.

3. I forget how many NLUG people use BBC Model B systems. I bet it isn't
very many.

4. SATA? That's so last year (humour intended) - what about SAS, FCoIP
and so on? If you want to think outside the box (which you obviously do,
and everyone else is stuck in the 1980s) then please move on at least
one generation.

5. Upgraded your home network to 10GigE yet?

6. I agree with you ref. parallel coding, mind you. But you can still
tweak your register size to something appropriate to the code - if
you're using a binary option, stick with 2 bits :)

7. Finally, have you ever considered posting something positive?

Sorry for the obvious) goading, folks. Every now and again something
makes me feel all defensive - I have no idea why ;-)

Graeme