[Nottingham] Why free software shouldn't depend on Mono or C#

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 16:18:32 UTC 2009

Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> our worries are described also on a fsf page:
> http://www.fsf.org/news/2009-07-mscp-mono

Good note, thanks.

I think this sums it up nicely (for those who wish to skip the turgid
detail):

####
The Solution: A Comprehensive Patent License

If Microsoft genuinely wants to reassure free software users that it
does not intend to sue them for using Mono, it should grant the public
an irrevocable patent license for all of its patents that Mono actually
exercises. That would neatly avoid all of the existing problems with the
Community Promise: it's broad enough in scope that we don't have to
figure out what's covered by the specification or strictly necessary to
implement it. And it would still be in force even if Microsoft sold the
patents.

This isn't an unreasonable request, either. GPLv3 requires distributors
to provide a similar license when they convey modified versions of
covered software, and plenty of companies large and small have had no
problem doing that. Certainly one with Microsoft's resources should be
able to manage this, too. If they're unsure how to go about it, they
should get in touch with us; we'd be happy to work with them to make
sure it's satisfactory.

Until that happens, free software developers still should not write
software that depends on Mono. C# implementations can still be attacked
by Microsoft's patents: the Community Promise is designed to give the
company several outs if it wants them. We don't want to see developers'
hard work lost to the community if we lose the ability to use Mono, and
until we eliminate software patents altogether, using another language
is the best way to prevent that from happening.
####

martin at ml1.co.uk