[Nottingham] Does anyone have an old laptop, please?

Thomas Preece thomas at tpreece.net
Fri Jul 24 19:08:23 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

First please excuse me for begging - I wouldn't normally but I am
asking on behalf of a charity!!

At URN, your local impoverished student radio station, we've come up
with a clever way of doing outside broadcasts - but in order for it to
work we need a dedicated computer from which we can stream our audio
back to the studios for broadcast... and we can't afford one at the
moment. :(

As we need to cart it around, the machine being a laptop is essential,
but as it would be a dedicated single-purpose machine, the spec we'd
need is fairly low. I reckon we'd be looking for something running at
around 700MHz or so, preferably with about half a gig of RAM. Oddly
enough, having a functioning dialup modem (in Linux, of course) or a
machine old enough to have a serial port to attach one to would
actually be an advantage for this application (because a phone-line
link to our studio would be very reliable, can be used at basically
venue, and would give us just enough bandwidth for broadcastable
speech) - however we'd also need a couple of USB ports.

Anyway, if anyone on the list has a machine of this sort of spec which
they were planning on throwing out - please consider donating it to
us!! (And yes, we are a charity - or at least a part of one in the
form of the Students' Union)

Many thanks for any help you can give us!

Thomas.