No subject

Wed Jul 15 11:13:46 UTC 2009

beyond what the Moblin user interface is just now lightly touching upon.

I think the biggest hangup for everyone with the mainstream GUIs is the
very flawed and inconsistent results produced when using mouse buttons:

one click for select;
two clicks in quick succession for select-and-action;
click-and-hold to drag something;
many variations if keyboard keys are pressed also.

That list is typical but those results are not consistent even on the
same one desktop! For example, one click on a desktop object might
select it whereas one click on a taskbar object on that same desktop
will act like a double-click!

Note: A typical user reading this rant of mine will likely not
understand what is meant by the term "a desktop object". You're at an
advanced level if you do understand.

Also consider that most people find the double-click to be almost
impossible to do physically without at least some practice... And there
is always confusion caused by why or how only one of a sigle-click,
double-click, or a right-click might be needed...

There must be better ways... (That are intuitive or can be randomly
guessed and that do not require any deep menus or /any/ manuals...)

The Navvy is getting nicely revamped and is already looking an awful lot
brighter. The beer was good although you need to like Banks bitter. And
their ADSL + WiFi is finally getting hooked up.

> I'll also be putting together a few ideas to post a calendar of talks
> for the year. What would you like to hear? What interests?

Next foodie social is at YO! Sushi on Tuesday 19/01/2010 pending a
certain person acquiring discount vouchers for us all. This time we'll
aim for an earlier start than usual to hopefully be able to get in there
before any queues.

Next talk 'n' beers is about what happens from switch on of a PC through
to seeing a desktop displayed, and why it takes such a ridiculously long
time. Anyone with details of how to speed up that process will be very
welcome to add comment!! All at the new brighter Navvy on Thursday
04/02/2010.

We've got a clean calendar at the Navvy for this year both for events
and for which days to meet. Anyone got any preference what talks, or for
alternate days?

> And are there any volunteers to revamp our long dormant website? (A lot
> of work was put into the old drupal site. Either resurrect that or at
> least retrieve the content?)

No takers on that one :-( ... so far?

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk