[Nottingham] Ubuntu apt-get issue

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 13:59:18 UTC 2009

Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 14:18, Peter Taylor <nickstone at gmail.com> wrote:
[---]
>> The first lines on the Synaptic site are
>>
>>> Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt. It provides
[---]

> The same features but different program. In the same way Windows is
> related to Linux.

???

I imagine the apt-get / Synaptic dependence to be:

Synaptic GUI (+ GTK+ dependencies)

apt(-get)

A good part of *nix is where you have (many minimal) commandline
utilities or libraries that are then combined and 'presented' to the
user through a more convenient user interface such as a GUI or through a
more 'friendly' commandline.

Just as Mandriva's "urpmi" is a 'wrapper' to the underlying "rpm"
command, is not the same for Synaptic utilising the apt-get
commands/libs to get the job done?

Note that such as urpmi and Synaptic can include their own additional
functionality also.

A very good part of *nix is that you do not need to "reinvent the wheel"...

>> So yes, definitely worth submitting the bug report.
>
> I am still not convinced synaptic put anything to apt.conf - but I
> will observe this bug report.

The 'bug issue' as I see it is that you have a "system global" effect
that is inconsistently manipulated. Hence the confusion caused.

All good debate and peer review! :-)

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk