[Nottingham] Hello

Chris Booth Chris.Booth at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 09:16:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

Further details/example:

Using Firefox v3.07 and browsing to
https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/nottingham

Firfox displays an alert reading:

mailman.lug.org.uk:443 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is
unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

and a page reading:

Secure Connection Failed
<snip>
mailman.lug.org.uk uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is
unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
<snip>

Viewing the certificate the message displayed is "Could not verify this
certificate for unknown reasons."
The certificate itself:

Issued to: Common Name (CN) mailman.lug.org.uk
Serial Number  44:72

Issued by: Common Name (CN) CAcert Class 3 Root
Organisation (O)  CAcert Inc.
Organisational Unit (OU) http://www.CAcert.org
Validity: Issued on 17/02/2008
          Expires on 16/02/2010
Fingerprints
SHA1 Fingerprint
37:92:FE:A1:7F:A9:F1:77:9A:94:AF:10:59:48:DC:E0:22:46:30:DF
MD5 Fingerprint   6E:80:89:6C:35:21:D6:3A:F7:9E:37:9F:DB:20:E0:E2

The reason is that the default install of Firefox v3.07 doesn't know
that CAcert is a trusted certificate authority.

You can import the CAcert root certificate from http://www.cacert.org/

Cheers,

Chris Booth  (Hoping to make the social on Thursday)
chris.booth at nottingham.ac.uk