[Nottingham] cifs mounts error to a Windows machine

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Mon Mar 23 13:42:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 13:31 +0000, Martin wrote:
> Anyone seen this?

Not exactly, but...

Does the Windows machine have the exact local hostname you're specifying
- ie. under "Computer Name", is it called "WINPC02"? I'll surmise now
that it doesn't.

ISTR that this is down to differences between the DNS name and the
NetBIOS name assigned to the machine. I know when I want to mount my C
drive off my work laptop I either have to use the IP address or the
assigned NetBIOS name - any deviation from those means that the
connection fails in the way you describe.

Graeme