[Nottingham] cifs mounts error to a Windows machine

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 15:24:20 UTC 2009

Michael Erskine wrote:
> 2009/3/23 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
>> In /etc/fstab:
>> //winpc02/sharefolder /mnt/winpcshare cifs
>> rw,user=wingroup/ausername%auserpassword,noauto 0 0
>> And trying:
>> mount /mnt/winpcshare
>> gives:
>> mount error 5 = Input/output error
>> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> The hostname given here in fstab is part of the UNC name of an
> exported CIFs resource and shouldn't be treated as if it could simply
> be resolved to an IP address by the usual means -- although it usually
> can and really should!

Mmmm... That's where I've been expecting that it should...

>> Have I found a bug?
>
> Only in your expectations :)

Indeed so. Certainly a subtle bit of unexpectedness! Compounded by an
unhelpful error message.

This then moves on to that we really should have a well defined
hierarchy of lookups so that you only need to define whatever 'name' once...

Thanks all,

martin at ml1.co.uk