[Nottingham] NIC MACs aliases & IP aliases

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri Mar 27 14:13:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 13:55 +0000, Matthew Walster wrote:
> Juniper does it wrong then ;)

Oooh, reading RFC3768 says they're right and I'm wrong. Damned Linux
implementations of standardised protocols ;-)

My experience of VRRP comes from quite a number of implementations
(including Vendor J!) but mainly from keepalived, which *doesn't* use
any Virtual MAC Address trickery...

Time to do some digging, I feel. I expect that the Linux implementation
side of the problem comes from the other point, which is that without
the exact right combination of hardware and driver, the MAC address
can't be changed on the fly.

Graeme (standing in a corrected sort of way!)