[Nottingham] Navigation meeting, 2nd April (email!)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 09:22:24 UTC 2009

Michael Erskine wrote:
> 2009/3/28 Simon Osborne <flibble at gmail.com>:
>> Does anybody have any ideas for the event next week?
>
> Sure, but none anyone else would be interested in :) I need to fix my laptop!
>
> Seriously though, I believe Martin put forward a few ideas last week.
> Whatever the weather, I'll be there to bore people with my puzzle
> collection! (Be sure to bring your skewb Simon!)

Well, I'll be talking email. Boring or what?! ;-)

More seriously, we all take email for granted, but how does it all work?
And why doesn't it always work? And what about all the SPAM?! And is
there an ultimate fix against SPAM?...

I've just had a few tussles with TNEF in email whereas I would hope
everyone has at least heard of MIME for email 'attachments'... And
there's other fun!

Recently, Wietse Venema (who's he?) received the FSF's Award for the
Advancement of Free Software. Even if you don't know his name, likely
the majority of the worlds email relies upon his freely given software
every day.

So the talk is about how a very old protocol with zero security for text
messages (32k bytes max size) has morphed over the decades into handling
multi-megabyte attachments of anything and SPAM!

I may even show how to directly talk email /without/ the aid of an email
client :-)

All at the NAV,

This Thursday 02/04/2009

19:30 meet in the bar