[Nottingham] [Talk] Parallel Penguins *TODAY* Thursday 07/05/09

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri May 8 12:43:03 UTC 2009

>>> This month's talk is guaranteed super! :-)
>>>
>>> Supercomputers
>>>
>>> Including something about the one we have here in Nottingham.
>>
>> Parallel Penguins
>>
>> Chris Booth
>> Nottingham University

And super it was! :-)

Thanks to Chris for a screaming good talk and a brief glimpse of some of
the work done both in and on the systems. All nicely extreme with
simulations of the universe down to molecular interactions and many
things in between. All equally extreme with the 80dBA to 100dBA scream
of cooling fans and a temperature gradient spanning 14 deg C to 36 deg C
across the cooling corridors... If only the students knew what might
fall on their heads!...

And all running batch jobs on Linux :-)

Great stuff!

See:

The Facility
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hpc/html/facility/index.php

Specifications
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hpc/html/facility/specifications/index.php

Pictures
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hpc/html/facility/pictures/index.php

SRIF-III upgrade
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hpc/html/facility/pictures/index2.php

Next is a curry somewhere around Nottingham. Suggestions welcomed.

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk