[Nottingham] NIC MACs aliases & IP aliases

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Fri May 15 01:12:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 08:27:46PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Any firewall boxes available that have x6 individual NIC ports?!

Oh yes.

soekris engineering makes small, low-power, fanless machines mostly
designed as firewall appliances and they explicitly made the designs
open and got full linux and *BSD support for their designs.

http://www.soekris.com/

They're not cheap and not speedy but they have real physical nics which
you can bridge, route, dmz, etc to your heart's content.

I'm not aware of any useful UK suppliers but this guy in Belgium sells
them with UK power adapters on request:

http://soekris.kd85.com/

Unfortunately, Belgium has 21% VAT and the UK is not an export country
so you'll not get it back.

It's kind of a build-your-own affair so not for the faint-hearted but
it's no more complex than you've already been doing with your
experiments documented in this thread.

I've been _this_ close to buying a soekris box as a firewall for years
now but never been able to justify the expense.

-Michael