[Nottingham] Ubuntu apt-get issue

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun May 31 16:15:23 UTC 2009

On Sunday 31 May 2009, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 15:24, David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk>
wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 May 2009, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:

> >> ser at zx~> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20proxy
> >> Acquire::http::proxy "http://128.243.253.119:8080";
> >
> > Er, not quite with you.  That's a University of Nottingham server, isn't
> > it?
> >
> > I tried creating that file with those contents, just in case, but it made
> > no difference; I'm not sure a University proxy would accept connections
> > from outside the University network anyway!
>
> Sorry if I was not clear - you need to specify your own proxy in this
> file, I am using uni proxy.

Ah, right

But I don't need to use a proxy; I'm trying to use direct connection (through
the router).  The netbook has no proxy set, but works!

However, your response has helped.   Not in apt.conf.d, but
in  /etc/apt/apt.conf there was a http proxy line as in teh one you quoted;
deleting this has made things work - so thanks!

I'd posted a request for help on the  ubuntu forums too - I'll post his as a
solution.

I suspect what has happened is that on installation the proxy has been set in
apt.conf, and that unsetting it in the Synaptic GUI doesn't look there for
the setting!

--
David Aldred