[Nottingham] What desktop...?

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 20:06:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 07:50:33PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> What Linux desktop(s) is(are) there, or desktop themes, whereby you can
> have a 'taskbar' of icons for your applications that cutiely zoom larger
> as you move the cursor over them?

What you're describing is the Mac OS 'dock'. There are lots available
for linux, most people I know of use AWN

http://wiki.awn-project.org/

It doesn't zoom for reasons mentioned on the FAQ:

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_Awn_have_the_parabolic_zoom_effect_that_other_docks_have.3F

But for full-on "cutiely", Cairo Dock 2

http://www.cairo-dock.org/

On my Macs I disable the zoom of the dock but otherwise, it is a good
feature and a quick google for "linux dock" produces many options.

Hope this helps.

-Penfold