[Nottingham] [Talk] Thurs 05/11/2009 What is there for a 'techie' Christmas?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 14:50:40 UTC 2009

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Firstly... We're still at the Nav! There's been a recent change of
> management/landlord there and we're welcome this Thursday. We can
> reassess the beer there ;-)
>

> And... What? Christmas trees and decorations in the shops ALREADY?!
> Eeeeek!!! By Eck!
>
> So what's happening in the world of computers, gadgets, and linux? What
> new goodies are there to play with? And are we there yet for computing
> nirvana? (Even with linux still down in the sub-1%?...[*])

And the new folks in The Navigation are most welcoming and working hard
to get the place going again. They plan to be serving food again about
now, and hopefully they'll have been reconnected to the internet
(certain dubious connections permitting/fixed) by the time we next meet
up there. Hopefully they might even widen their selection of beer?...

Anyhow, good discussion and all us lot must be the worst Marketing
nightmare ever! Everyone is already set up nicely with their computing
nirvana and so why change?... What is it with all this 'upgrade' hype?

By 'eck, we might all be all going green even! As noted, the latest "big
splash" for new CPUs is all for low power operation and portable
devices. Also with a hopeful renewed Linux resurgence with the already
Linux supported low power (non-x86) CPUs.

Good discussion and I get the impression that we'll all be sniffing
around the January sales!

Anyone for setting up some blinking lights from their Arduino?? ;-)

And we decided for the foodie social to be a Beeston Indian. Should be good.

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk