[Nottingham] Why free software shouldn't depend on Mono or C#

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 17 04:54:43 UTC 2009

now, I'm all for interoperability, and in that case this could only be
seen as a good thing... but as usual, caveat emptor. Microsoft are
known for undermining others' slices of the market (Netscape) using
less than ethical means (Netscape, Digital) and eventually buying them
out but keeping them afloat as "competition" (Apple). Interesting
times, indeed...

On a similar note, having not even seen a Win7 desktop yet, any
impressions of its quality? Ergonomics compared to say, Compiz Fusion?
I ask because I installed Fusion on one of my laptops this week just
to jazz things up a little, and it's just dreamy. Visually it's simply
stunning with /everything/ switched on, smooth as the side of an ice
cube (considering it's running on an ATI M7 that isn't bad going at
all!), and with a stock install of Knoppix 5.3/Debian it does what I'd
expect of a notebook on steroids.

Sick curiosity demands I ask, not that I'll go back to the trainwreck
that is NT, ever.

On 11/16/09, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've not been following this:
>
>> Rather an interesting post:
>>

>> Why free software shouldn't depend on Mono or C#
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono
>
> But was reminded of that as I've just stumbled across this article:
>
> Test, package .NET apps for Linux with Visual Studio add-in
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/11/test-and-package-net-apps-for-linux-with-visual-studio-add-in.ars
>
> ####
> Novell has launched a new add-in for Visual Studio that will allow
> Windows developers to test and deploy their .NET applications on Linux.
> This could help boost the availability of third-party software for the
> open source operating system.
> By Ryan Paul | Last updated November 11, 2009 9:40 PM CT
> ####
>

> OK, so that looks like a nice piece of cross-platform compatibility
> comparable to a WINE on hyped up steroids!
>
> But considering the following comment, has Hell truly frozen over and
> noone noticed?!:
>
> ####
> "With Mono Tools for Visual Studio, we are bridging the gap between
> Visual Studio, one of the world's leading development platforms, and
> Linux, one of the world's leading deployment platforms," said de Icaza
> in a statement. "By integrating our tools right into Visual Studio, we
> are enabling developers familiar with Windows and .NET to quickly bring
> their applications to the Linux market, and ISVs to offer their software
> as ready-to-run appliances."
> ####
>
> Note the "Linux, one of the world's leading deployment platforms" and
> "quickly bring their applications to the Linux market, and I[ndependent]
> S[oftware] V[endor]s"
>

> Is all this good or bad or all part of an inevitable Microsoft Embrace -
> Extend - Extinguish?
>

> As the Chinese would say: "Interesting Times"!
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> --

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici