[Nottingham] [Talk] Thursday 01/10/2009 What can Linux do for You?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Oct 3 20:51:16 UTC 2009

Folks,

> What can Linux do for You?

I think we had good multi-threaded and often parallised evening :-)

Of note there was Tom demonstrating on his (ancient) netbook, various
commandline apps that *don't use X* as a display manager and instead
directly take over the display for themselves to show their graphics.
Very lean and mean!! He also showed off the EvilWM window manager and
complained that it was only just frugal enough for his liking!

 From the talk and discussion, it looks like most people do:

Email;
Web surfing;
Play music and other media;
Arrange photo albums;
Write text documents;
And then we get into the obscure stuff...

And we all have the freedom to customise things to our hearts content.

The only comment of problems was for if there is some all-encompassing
easy-to-use client for uploading images and web pages to the various
sites/hosts.

Myself for that, I just jump onto the command-line and use one of the
many good old fashioned (s)ftp clients. For using a GUI, then there is
Filezilla and the good old Konqueror.

Meanwhile... Has Webdav taken off yet?...

And on this occasion, to my taste the beer was rather off :-(

I'm very open to suggestions/recommendations of other venues in the city
centre. We might have a fall-back of a community centre north of the
city centre but I think that is a little far away for those that come in
on the train or use the Broadmarsh bus station.

We've always got a "fallback" option of just meeting up in such as the
Roebuck on St James' St.

Anyone any ideas?

martin at ml1.co.uk