[Nottingham] Keeping the freedom of 'free' software (2) [Fwd: [FSF] Microsoft's Codeplex Foundation]

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 19:32:56 UTC 2009

Folks,

Beware a wolf in sheep's clothing?...

####
... developers may succumb to Microsoft's ploys
encouraging them to use weaker licenses that are vulnerable to "embrace
and extend" or patent [co-option], and to make free software dependent
on proprietary platforms.

This foundation is not the first Microsoft project to bear the name
"CodePlex". There is also codeplex.com, a project hosting site, whose
list of allowed licenses excludes GNU GPL version 3. Perhaps this
reflects the fact that GPL version 3 is designed to protect a program's
free software status from being subverted by Microsoft's patents...
####

Interesting stuff for those interested in freedoms.