[Nottingham] Linux, GNU, HURD, and now... Valix

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 13:51:48 UTC 2009

Richard Ward wrote:
> Jim Moore wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see RISC OS 3.1 run native on a 2GHz x86
>> processor!
>>

> Me too, and I'd also like to play some of the old games from my
> childhood again.
>
> It could happen... http://www.riscosopen.org/
> I'm not sure if they are doing an x86 port, but they are working on an
> ARM Cortex port that should run on the new ARM netbooks.

should be possible, x86 is essentially a RISC chip with CISC extended
instructions bolted on... how difficult would it be to ignore the
hardcoded CISC extensions? (I'm asking, I'm not a lernel programmer or a
programmer of any sort for that matter!)

--
Are more people violently opposed to wearing fur than leather because it's easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?