[Nottingham] EXT4 no journal

Rory Holland modestforagenius at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:00:46 UTC 2009

I have a netbook wth an SSD, and have heard that running a journaled
filesystem can severely impact the lifetime (and performance for this
one!) of the drive.
However, I know ext4 brings many performance improvements over ext2,
so I would like to know if there's a way to disable the journal on an
ext4 partition. Google isn't much help, as there's lots of conflicting
information.
I think there's a way using a livecd and the "tune2fs" tool.

Regards,
James

--
Please avoid sending me encrypted Microsoft Office attachments (Word,
Excel, Powerpoint)